Wednesday, March 4, 2009

SNSs

I have subscribed to a couple of social networking systems in the past, but don't feel the need to keep up with them for my own personal uses.
However, the Flickr photo sharing tool sounds like a great idea as a Library 2.0 tool. I can see students being able to take digital photos of objects and scenery that corresponds to a topic they're studying in almost any subject. These photos could be shared with other classmates or even e-pals from other schools, cities or somewhere else in the world, or for grandparents across the country. For example, in social studies, the grade four curriculum focuses on Canadian Aboriginal cultures. Students could shoot a series of artifacts, regalia, clothing, artwork, etc to share on Flickr as a photo essay. Being able to add comments to each picture is valuable for identification of the objects for the viewers.
How about a Mother's Day photo essay? What Mom wouldn't want to log onto their computer to recieve an invitation from their child to join Flickr to discover a gift from their child? Perhaps the photos are of all the favorite places Mom and child like to share their quality time, or a selection of gorgeous flowers if Mom is an avid gardener.
I know that in our district, rules surrounding privacy are very strict, so nicknames and no photos of student's faces would be allowed, but I can see how some students, regardless of grade, could shine in this kind of fine art. Perhaps a librarian could locally develop a course using Flickr and open it to the district's students.
Facebook has value to a teacher librarian if there are school library groups one could join, however, I have yet to come up with a terrific reason why we'd use Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc with our students. I'm not convinced that the students would stick to the classroom guidelines on it's use and the security and privacy settings aren't private enough for this district.
In time, I think social networking will become for commonly used in the library and classrroom settings. Once more teachers use the services and more activities are developed that can be justified as curriculum basesd, more students will be using SNS with education in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment