Monday, February 16, 2009

In Memory of Dad

My Dad passed away yesterday. It's very odd, but even at almost 50 years old, I feel like an orphan. I wonder if I actually qualify, or if there's a cut-off age that, when your parents are gone, you're too old to be considered an orphan.
But before he left, I worked on lesson 6 and initially decided to write about what I learned from the different readings surrounding wikis. However, because I needed to correspond with my step-sister who lives four hours away and, between the two of us, write an obituary, I decided to start a wiki. It was incredibly easy! I found Wetpaint on the web, followed their directions to create a username and password, and began to write. Once I completed what I thought I could add, I invited my step-sister and the funeral home representative. Both accepted their invitations, I allowed them to be able to administer (I think that's the word used?) and once we all agreed to the contents and added a picture, the funeral home was able to take the information to make memory cards and send the obituary to the newspapers in which we wanted it entered.
I know this wiki has nothing to do with teacher-teacher or teacher-student collaboration, but it served a valuable purpose and was exactly the technology I needed to collaborate and finalize a piece of writing at this time. The availability of the wiki for collaboration at a sad time as this was invaluable. My step-sister and I were both able to reflect for the time we truely needed to create a memory that did justice to our Dad, not to mention edit each other's work (and both of us being teachers, you can bet we were looking for mistakes from one another!).
I don't feel comfortable sharing our memory of Dad wiki with others, but I'm glad the timely topic was presented and I was able to take advantage of it.

1 comment:

  1. Gayle,
    I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My thoughts are with you.
    Take care,
    Celia
    (from class)

    ReplyDelete