After reading a post by my classmate, Maria, I am reminded of the value of the internet as a powerful tool for up-to-date information. She reiterated Michael Gorman's opinions about books and library services being the way a library is supposed to operate. By checking in with Wikipedia, Maria unearthed some very strong comments about him being a traditionalist with regards to what a library is, and a conservativist when it comes to the use of technology as a tool for research.
This leads me to think about Wikipedia. Not everyone thinks it's a reliable source because it is citizen created. So in this case, is the information the gospel truth or is it to be taken with a grain of salt? Here's where we'd need to have our students research the topic more extensively to determine the truthfulness and completeness of the Wikipedia information.
After reaading the Wikipedia comments on Maria's post, I wonder how a person with this traditional and conservative attitude could be the Dean of Library Services at a university. To what extent does the curriculum for Library Sciences spread at that university? I wonder if they have courses on teaching students how to use Web 2.0 tools to take their information technology skills forward. Now that Michael Gorman is retired, I wonder if that university will change it's curriculum?
Reading my classmates' posts helps me to reach beyond my own mind, globalizing my thinking to extend my knowledge further. I appreciate Maria's comments as they made me think of the value of Wikipedia and the power of the internet as a resouce.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment